Pages

Sunday, November 4, 2012

The New Yorker: Paragon Of English Usage?

I wrote the following letter to The New Yorker:

Long-time reader, first-time contributor. I wanted to make a point to a colleague about proper punctuation and grammar. For years I've referred to The New Yorker as the world's best-edited magazine. To make a point, I wanted to ask my colleague to go to The New Yorker site and pick an article at random to see an example of proper English usage. Fortunately, I did it myself beforehand. To my surprise, the very first blurb for an article included the following: "Now that New York has experienced two freakish storms in less than two years, has a conversation has begun about its future in a warming world?"

Huh? Is this The New Yorker, or has my browser redirected me to Fox News? Oh, well. I clicked on this article; surely the punctuation and grammar here would be illustrative. After a few seconds, I came across the following: "The Romney ad doesn’t say; it doesn’t mention the line about Republicans that proceeded Obama’s comments." Come on, New Yorker! Tighten up!

0 comments:

Post a Comment