Pages

Tuesday, November 28, 2023

Careful with those commas!

Click here for an article at ABC News entitled "Pence told Jan. 6 special counsel harrowing details about 2020 aftermath, warnings to Trump: Sources," subtitled "The former VP is the top official known to have spoken with investigators."

It's an interesting article, but I like the piece about the disputed comma placement:

Sources said that investigators' questioning became so granular at times that they pressed Pence over the placement of a comma in his book: When recounting a phone call with Trump on Christmas Day 2020, Pence wrote in his book that he told Trump, "You know, I don't think I have the authority to change the outcome" of the election on Jan. 6.

But Pence allegedly told Smith's investigators that the comma should have never been placed there. According to sources, Pence told Smith's investigators that he actually meant to write in his book that he admonished Trump, "You know I don't think I have the authority to change the outcome," suggesting Trump was well aware of the limitations of Pence's authority days before Jan. 6 -- a line Smith includes in his indictment.

"You know, I don't think" and "You know I don't think" express different thoughts.

(I can't resist adding a favorite quotation of mine from Oscar Wilde: "I have spent half a day deciding to use a comma -- and the other half deciding to take it out again.") Careful with those commas!

0 comments:

Post a Comment