I've copy-and-pasted this from a Robert Reich Substack article entitled "AutoWar," subtitled "The nightmare." Let me take this opportunity to state how much I loathe Newt Gingrich, and how, more than any other single individual, I think he is responsible for lowering politics into the gutter in the mid'90s with his politics-as-warfare beliefs.
Imagine four of the most frighteningly irresponsible people in America deciding how AI will be put to use in the most frighteningly irresponsible way.
Pete Hegseth is one of them. Trump is another. The other two are Elon Musk and Newt Gingrich.
Hegseth says he’s tasking Musk and Gingrich with laying the groundwork for a new “Autonomous Warfare Command,” or AutoWarCom — a new Pentagon command operation for autonomous warfare. It would feature unmanned drones, autonomous sensors, unmanned boats, and other autonomous systems. Hegseth is proposing to triple spending on autonomous warfare to $74 billion.
Hegseth has also named as an adviser Palmer Luckey, a major Trump donor who designed the Oculus Rift, a virtually reality headset credited with reviving the virtual reality industry, and co-founded of Anduril Industires, a military tech company focused on autonomous drones and sensors.
The specter of autonomous lethal weapons — weapons that kill without human beings first deciding who, how, or when — is the nightmare of many who deal with AI. Autonomous AI weapons are fraught with unpredictability. And what happens when AI weapons escape their controls and go rogue, as recently occurred at OpenAI, Anthropic, Meta, and Google?
Bad enough that Hegseth and Trump are pouring money into this. Worse that they’re setting up a separate military command for it. Worse still that they’re depending on Musk, Gingrich, and a virtual-reality game designer to tell them how.
I keep thinking I’ll wake up from this nightmare into a sane world.
0 comments:
Post a Comment