Pages

Saturday, April 9, 2011

I Don't Think This Guy Likes Cops.

[This is a link to Are Cops Brave? by David Ker Thomson at CounterPunch.]

"After thirty-six months on the job here in our neck of the woods, a provincial constable (first class) can expect to receive $83,483 annual salary. If you add duration incentives and factor in small-town prices such as that of housing in the northern part of the province, at about the career ten-year mark (from the beginning of professional training) an OPP officer based in a mid-sized northern Ontario town makes nearly three times the salary of an arts-and-humanities professor at the University of Toronto, which was Canada’s best university until they inadvisedly let me take a crack at their grad students a few years back.
"[...]
"Of course I make a point of telling my children that when selecting a vocation they shouldn’t think primarily of the money. 'Do what you love,' I tell them, 'and love what you do.' I can’t stress that enough. 'And if it’s killing and torturing you enjoy,' I tell them, 'join the police force. The money’s just extra.'"

"Here’s the kicker: I couldn’t find any mention on the site of officers being positionally asphyxiated in leisurely fashion by seven criminals."

0 comments:

Post a Comment